Friday, May 13, 2011

Shock and Dismay

   So, it would seem that they publishers of Crochet Master Class did not test the patterns before they published the book. There is a major error in the pattern so that part 1 doesn't match up with part 2. I was very disappointed when I discovered this Monday night. After some scowling at the pattern and the work I had already done, I decided how I was going to fix it. I'm about a fifth of the way through the second section now, and I think my fix is going to work out so that the pattern error will only be noticeable to me.
   This is the first pattern that I have ever worked from a book that has had this kind of error in it. I guess I just assumed that all patterns were tested according to the written instructions before they were published. I've learned my lesson. I'll be sure to check Ravelry from now on to see if anyone has run into any errors in a pattern before I launch into it. Fortunately it was a crochet project not a knitting project. I feeling pretty confident fixing things on the fly with crochet. If it had been a knitting pattern I would have been very tempted to cry and rip the whole thing out and start over.
    I have to go for now, as there is a three year old determined to sit on my lap while I try to type. Happy crafting!

3 comments:

  1. I've just encountered the very same thing and am really disappointed as I've used a finer yarn than recommended and made it just over twice as many 'curves' long! I'd be really interested to know how you've overcome the problem as I'm a bit stumped and really don't want to do it all again - I was on the verge of a rather childish tantrum last night :¬)

    I was contemplating increasing the length of the straight turning end to accommodate the 'extra' arches, and then continuing to join the two middle end arches as indicated in the pattern. This would leave the extra outside arches free to incorporate into the filler motif - is your solution along the same lines?

    Thanks for reassuring me that it's not my pattern reading that's at fault here.

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that I'm not the only one to discover that error at the end of section one and way too stubborn to rip out what I had already done to try to fix it! I am out of town right now, and I don't have a camera with me, but I think the fix I'm using is going to work. I worked the second section as written only connecting part 2 to the middle two free loops on section one. It has left me with almost key shaped gaps. I corrected that when I was working the filler clusters. I started in one of the extra loops from part one with a slip stich, then dch into the opposite free loop. Then slpst again in the loop where I started and worked the cluster as written. So far this has worked out so that you can't see the error in the pattern. So, yes my fix is along the same lines. I will post pics when I get home next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent, thanks for replying! I look forward to seeing your solution and will persevere with mine too, stubborn crocheters unite :¬)

    ReplyDelete