Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Snowed In

   Actually we're not snowed in yet as much as we're iced in. There has been a fairly impressive amount of all sorts of frozen precipitation around here today, and it's not supposed to be over for another 12-18 hours. What do you do when a major winter storm comes your way? You pull out your work bag and go to town! As I throw myself out into cyberspace to share my crafty ways; my work bag springs to mind. The picture I have posted is of my bag displayed on an afghan I crocheted for my mother for Christmas about 3 years ago.
   My work bag is a vital part of my crafting habit. It comes with me any time I'm going to be sitting some where for more than 20 min. Car rides, doctors appointments, work (back when I did such a thing); it's like an extension of my personality some days. It's got everything I need, and is one of the few things I keep consistently organized. It holds my binder of loose leaf & printed off the net patterns; a magenta pencil pouch with my little notions i.e. stitch holders, yarn needles, cable needles, row markers, tatting shuttle, little post-it pad, row counters, pencil, that sort of thing; a light blue pencil pouch with my double point knitting needles, and a purple pouch with all of my crochet hooks; any books I'm working from; and of course how every many of my current projects will fit. As I'm sure you've guessed it can be quite heavy at times. I will tell you the afghans that are done all as one piece never live in this bag. They have their own canvas bag because they are just so darn bulky once you get more than like 10 rows in.
   I inherited my bag from my Grammie. She had several for various purposes. It's a piece of needle craft heritage that can go where ever I do. It's not anything even remotely resembling fashionable, but it's an heirloom that I tote with pride. I have to admit that this probably won't be the last time that the paraphernalia and tools capture my compositional imagination ahead of the actual projects I'm working on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment